More Evidence Ann Romney Not Wearing Mormon Garments (Photo)

I noticed something askew after looking at a photo gallery from Thursday’s 1st Presidential Debate (see photo 13).  Only a Mormon would notice something like this.  As most Mormons would inevitably feel, I almost felt bad for noticing, and a bit awkward for sharing this.  But like Doc from Back to the Future… “I figured what the hell.”

I’m not the first one to bring this up.  After appearing on Jay Leno, many Mormon bloggers began to speculate that Ann isn’t wearing her temple garments.  For those of you who don’t know, I hesitate to explain further, other than I’m sure you’ve heard or seen some reference to the “magic underwear” Mormon’s wear.  It’s pretty sacred stuff, and to even bring it up is sure to offend plenty of Mormons… and to those folks I say “forgiveness is divine.”  Mormons are quite sensitive about this stuff.  What can I say, I’m a political commentator.  Sorry for noticing the truth.

I can tell you I couldn’t care less whether or not any Mormons wear their “Gs.”  I’m not the judgmental type.  I haven’t walked on water.  This isn’t judgement, or gossip (well maybe a little gossipy in nature).  This is a commentary on that oh so important image so many Mormon families strive with such effort to preserve and protect… that front they put on in the public eye for church political reasons.  Most Christians can relate… we all know what I’m talking about.

This phenomenon causes these families to look upon others with disdain while treating themselves with impunity.  They’ll often avoid associating with non-Mormons and even Mormons who don’t meet their class and image standards.  I should point out now that there are ample numbers of Mormon families who are the opposite of this… who don’t deserve to be grouped here.

Ann and Mitt have said some very classist things this election cycle, and personally I feel that their ideology is very classist.  There’s an arrogance that says ‘I worked hard for what I have and you don’t deserve to tax me or others who have worked hard just because you have a sense of dependency.”  We all heard the 47% comments, and I’ll just leave it at that.

The point is this… people are curious about this because Mormons are supposed to wear temple garments, and the Romneys are supposedly the “face of Mormonism.”  That’s the bottom line.  Obviously this isn’t some revelation that should affect your vote.  It’s just an observation.

Maybe Ann Romney ain’t so perfect after all.  Maybe she should quiet herself about what choices others make and try to have a heart about the plight of those less fortunate than her little one percent self.  Just sayin.

UPDATE (Tuesday October 9):

Ann Romney appeared on Fox News tonight in practically a sleeveless dress, clearly not wearing any garments once again.

Justin McAffee

Posts Carousel

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

• sarah
    October 6, 2012, 8:27 pm

What was the point if this article, stupidest thing I ever took the time to read. You are judgemental if you werent, you never would have written all that crap

• Paul Tunstall@sarah
      October 9, 2012, 12:42 am

Whether Ann is wearing her garments or not has no bearing on her husbands suitability to be president of the United States. This is personal and has no place on a public blog site. There are professions that require their removal (athletes, artists, performers). Are politicians that different than these listed professionals? She may have to take her garments off, because her official fashion designer is non-LDS.

• Nigel P@Paul Tunstall
        October 16, 2012, 8:26 pm

So, you’re saying that’s it’s ok to abrogate part of your religious obligations because a dressmaker objects to it?

Wow, that’s some high class devotion right there.

• Scott Nielsen
    October 7, 2012, 12:39 am

Justin; Is there nothing else out there to report of any interest to the masses? (and by the way in paragraph 3 you probably meant that “you couldn’t care less” rather than (“(I)you could care less”)

Any good journalist would know that… and by the way, my wife is tall and yes her garments actually do hike up far more than you would think. And also by the way, you wouldn’t actually know that there are some women that cannot wear garments all of the time because of a rare skin reaction to most of the fabric. Her husband is a physician so I had no reason to doubt her.

Give it a break already… and the rest of the panel of idiots LDS or not need to worry about themselves…
    Have a nice day…

• Scott Nielsen@Scott Nielsen
      October 7, 2012, 12:41 am

Also; I see another typo… “quiet” is not spelled “quite”…:)

• Justin McAffee@Scott Nielsen
      October 7, 2012, 10:17 am

Thanks Scott… the copy editor was off last night. I agree, there are few legitimate reasons not to wear garments… but in this case I definitely don’t think they are riding. If they are, that is the biggest wedgie in history. 🙂

• Dan
    October 6, 2012, 9:25 pm

Looks a little “photo-shopped” to me…

• Justin McAffee@Dan
      October 6, 2012, 9:53 pm

See image 13, Chicago Tribute:

• D. White
    October 6, 2012, 10:40 pm

This is so seriously stupid. When you sit down they can ride up. Big deal.

• Justin McAffee@D. White
      October 6, 2012, 11:21 pm

Ha ha! You think they are riding up that far? Man, you are naive.

• Joel@Justin McAffee
        October 7, 2012, 7:56 am

I take it you are not married. According to my wife yes they can ride up tht far.

• Justin McAffee@Joel
          October 7, 2012, 10:19 am

Maybe the silk ones… 🙂 But if they are, they are all the way up her…

• Sharon Dequer
    October 7, 2012, 11:44 am

Justin–It seems like you (and a few others) have pounced on this topic as your personal crusade. It’s none of your business. But why don’t you survey Mormon men and find out how far THEIR garments may ride up???